Tips on How to Prepare For Your Meeting With a Car Crash Lawyer
You are about to have your first meeting with an experienced, highly competent car crash lawyer about a potential personal injury claim. By keeping in mind that the Rechtsanwalt Freiburg lawyer will use the meeting to assess you and your potential claim, you will be able to prepare in a way that leave the right impression with the lawyer and makes it more likely that he or she will agree to represent you.
First, get organized. The lawyer will need certain documents from you in order to evaluate your potential claim. Put together a folder with the following documents before your meeting:
1. The police report and/or accident report(s). These reports will help the lawyer get additional descriptions of the accident, determine the identity of any witnesses and their view of how the accident happened and who is at fault, find out about any special circumstances such as alcohol, and whether anyone was cited for the accident.
2. Photographs of the accident and accident scene. The photographs will help the lawyer get a sense of the accident scene and (if the photographs were taken at the time of the accident) the amount of traffic, visibility, and weather conditions.
3. All information you gathered regarding the other driver, including name, address, driver’s license number, vehicle year, make and model, license plate number, and insurance company. The lawyer will need to identify the other driver to find out as much about the driver as possible, including whether (and how much) insurance the driver has, and whether the driver has been involved in other accidents.
4. The names and contact information of any witness(es) to the accident. Witnesses can be very helpful in establishing who is at fault for the accident. The lawyer will want to determine whether all the witnesses give a similar account of the accident and whether they are credible.
5. Photographs of damage to the vehicle(s) involved in the accident and estimates (or bills) of repair costs. The lawyer will also be able to gauge the location and extent of the damage to the vehicles involved. All too often insurance adjusters handling car crash cases judge the claim of injuries by the extent of damage to the vehicles. They, and potential jurors, tend to look at serious injuries in cases involving minor damage to the vehicles suspiciously. While there are many severe injuries that can be sustained in cases involving low impact or minor vehicle damage, the lawyer will need to determine how much resistance may be posed by claims adjusters and potential jurors.
6. Photographs of any injuries you suffered as a result of the accident. For injuries that are visible, such as hematomas, fractures, cuts and resulting scarring, photographs are the best way to relate the severity of the injury. It may also be possible to use photographs can also be used to show the progress of your treatment.